After an import job, such as a DMS migration or importing clients from Lacerte or ProSeries, you might have duplicate clients.
Under certain conditions, a DMS migration can still create duplicate clients. For example, in the event that a client’s TIN does not match between DMS and Lacerte or ProSeries, this client will be duplicated when imported to SmartVault.
The merge feature is also useful when you create a client in SmartVault before you create the client in Lacerte or ProSeries—often to collect source documents in SmartVault before completing tax work for a new client.
Using the Connected Desktop's filter and search feature, you can quickly locate duplicate clients in long Client List.
- Open Connected Desktop.
- Locate two clients with duplicate information. These clients must share both the same exact name or tax identifier.
- First click on one client, then, while holding the CTRL key, click on the second client.
- Right click on either client and select Merge clients.
- Select the client to merge to.
If the clients you are merging have matching tax identifiers, but differing names:
- If one of the clients was preexisting before your import, determine which client imported from DMS.
- Select the preexisting client in Connected Desktop.
- Right click and select Open client in Portal.
- Click Edit client.
- Update the client's name field to match the imported client's name exactly and click Save changes when finished.
- Attempt to merge the clients again.