SmartVault recommends that you back up any Company File that you make changes to at least once a day.
If you want to be even safer, you can configure SmartVault to automatically back up your Company file each time you close the company file. For more information, see “Automatically Backing Up Reckon Accounts and QuickBooks Company Files” .
Before you back up a Company File, verify the following items:
- Verify the company file you want to back up is not currently open or being used by another user.
- Verify the company file you want to back up has been added to SmartVault.
- Verify that you have permissions to back up the company file. In order to back up the company file, you must have the following permissions
If the QuickBooks company file was shared with you using the Manage Group Members option, your SmartVault user ID must be a member of the Vault Managers group or the Full Access group for the vault.
If the QuickBooks company file was shared with you using the Share & Manage Access option, you must have Full Access.
After completing this how-to you will have ...
- 1.Install the SmartVault Desktop software. For more information, see “Installing the SmartVault Desktop Software” .
- Verify that you are signed in to SmartVault from the Desktop software by completing the following steps:
- On the Start menu, click Start > Programs > SmartVault > SmartVault Launchpad.
- If the Sign in to your SmartVault account link displays, you are not signed in to SmartVault from the SmartVault Desktop software. Click Sign in to your SmartVault account, type the email address and password and then click Sign In.
- If the Sign in to your SmartVault account link does not display, you are already signed in to SmartVault from the SmartVault Desktop software.
- On the SmartVault Launchpad, click Back Up QuickBooks data.
- Select each vault that you want to back up.
- If you want to keep the backup in SmartVault forever, select the Keep forever check box.
- By default, SmartVault conserves disk space by deleting old backup files to make room for new back up files. However, if you want to keep a back up copy of a company file forever, select the Keep forever check box. SmartVault will not delete any backup files marked Keep forever until you manually choose to go back and delete them.
- If you want to specify a special name for the backup file, in the Backup Name field, type a name for the backup.
- By default, SmartVault uses the following syntax to name company file backups:
- Backup Year_Month_Day, where Year is the current year, Month is today's month, and Day is today’s date.
- However, you can specify a special name for the QuickBooks company file backup, such as 2011 Year End Backup.
- Click Backup.
- SmartVault displays a status bar showing you that each selected company file is being backed up. When the backup completes, the Backup dialog box automatically closes.
Note: The time required to back up a Company File depends on the total size of the company file, the speed and bandwidth of your Internet connection, and the current load on SmartVault servers in the SmartVault data center at that time. Backup times can vary from about one minute to several minutes or more based on these factors.