Welcome to SmartVault
Your tax preparer has partnered with SmartVault to give you a secure way to share files. You're given your own vault in which your tax preparer stores your various tax documents.
Use this guide to start using SmartVault as a Tax Client.
You can click each image to view a full screen preview of the image. Click the X icon to close the preview and return to the guide.
Or, watch the following video for an orientation on using SmartVault as a Tax Client:
Step 1 - Activate Your SmartVault Account
When your tax preparer invited you to use his/her SmartVault account, we sent you an activation email.
Check your inbox for this email. The sender is firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to check your Junk or Spam folder as well.
If you can't find the activation email, you can have it resent, by following the instructions found here - Resending the Activation Email or by contacting your tax preparer. Be sure to verify that your tax preparer is using your correct email address.
Step 2 - Sign in to the SmartVault Client Portal
To access your tax preparer's SmartVault account, sign in to the Client Portal. You'll sign in with your username and password. Your username is your email address.
- Go to https://my.smartvault.com
- Type the Email Address and Password you specified when you created your account.
- If you want SmartVault to remember your user name and password, select Stay signed in.
- Click Sign in.
Step 3 - Specify your time zone
By default, the time zone within the client portal is (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada). If you are in a different time zone, you'll set your time zone in the My Info section of the main menu. Setting your time zone allows SmartVault to apply accurate dates and times to your documents.
- Sign in to the SmartVault client portal.
- Click My Info.
- In the Time Zone: field, click the drop down box to select your time zone from the list.
- Click Save Changes to finalize the time zone change.
Step 4 - Work in the SmartVault Client Portal
When you sign in to the SmartVault Client Portal, you'll see your personal vault.
Click on your vault to move inside. You'll see folders labeled "TYXX" for every tax year that is available to you. For example, for the 2015 tax year, there is a folder labeled "TY15". Click on this folder to move inside.
Inside each TYXX folder you'll see three folders.
As a Tax Client, you will view documents in each of these folders, but you will upload only to the Client Source Documents folder.
Step 5 - Upload a source document
Your tax preparer might request that you upload one of your tax-related source documents such as your W-2. Note: Your tax preparer might have changed the appearance of some of these folders. Please contact your tax preparer for assistance if you cannot find the source documents folder.
Step 6 - View and download your tax return
When your tax preparer finishes your tax return, he or she uploads your return to your Client Tax Returns folder.
- Click on your vault to move inside.
- Click on the TYXX folder for the current tax year.
- Click on the Client Tax Returns folder.
- To save and view your tax return on your desktop, under Actions, click the Download icon.
- Or, click on the file name to view a preview of the tax return in your browser.
See Previewing Documents using the SmartVault Client Portal for more information on the preview feature.