Once you back up a company file, you can restore the company file in just a few clicks using SmartVault. When you restore a backup of a company file, SmartVault uses the last known location of that company file on your computer as the default location where it will restore the backup file.
If SmartVault has never worked with that particular company on the current computer, it will use the default “Company Files” folder as the default location. You can also choose an alternate location on your local computer where you want to restore the company file.
After completing this how-to you will have a previous version of the Company file available for use.
- Install the SmartVault Desktop software. For more information, see “Installing the SmartVault Desktop Software” .
- Verify that you are signed in to SmartVault from the SmartVault Desktop software by completing the following steps:
- On the Start menu, click Start > Programs > SmartVault > SmartVault Launchpad.
- If the Sign in to your SmartVault account link displays, you are not signed from the SmartVault Desktop software. Click Sign in to your SmartVault account, type the email address and password for your SmartVault account, and then click Sign In.
- If the Sign in to your SmartVault account link does not display, you are already signed in to SmartVault from the Desktop software.
- On the SmartVault Launchpad, click Restore QuickBooks data.
- In the SmartVault field, select the vault that contains the QuickBooks company file.
- In the Company field, select the name of the company file you want to restore. Once you select the company file you want to restore, the Destination field displays the location where the QuickBooks company file will be restored.
- In the Backup field, select the backup you want to restore.
- Click Restore.
- When the restore completes, click Close.
Note: When you restore a company file backed up in SmartVault, restoring overwrites the existing company file on your local computer to reflect all entry and document attachment changes or updates.