Opening the SmartVault Launchpad
As a tax accountant, you'll primarily use the SmartVault Connected Desktop to achieve most of your daily workflow. However, the SmartVault Launchpad offers you a place to access to all the tools within SmartVault, including the Connected Desktop.
Connecting Your Tax Application
Since SmartVault integrates directly with Intuit's Lacerte or ProSeries, we offer capable functionality that appears inside your tax application and becomes ingrained directly in your normal workflow. As you continue through this guide, we'll show you how SmartVault augments your already existing tax process. Before you can see SmartVault in your tax application, you'll need to grant SmartVault access to Lacerte, ProSeries, or both.
- After installing SmartVault with the recommended settings, you should have four SmartVault desktop shortcuts.
- Locate the SmartVault Launchpad icon and double-click to open.
- SmartVault prompts you to sign in before you can use the Launchpad. Enter the email address and password you supplied during sign up.
- When you finish sign in, the Launchpad opens and you should receive one or more additional windows depending on the Intuit software you have installed. Click Grant to allow SmartVault access to your installed Intuit programs.
Note: If you have any issues with granting SmartVault access to your tax application, see this article to manually grant access to SmartVault.
The Data Migration Tool
Additionally, a window opens titled Getting Starting Wizard. This wizard is the Data Migration tool, and it opens to help guide you through your migration to SmartVault from one of Intuit's integrated products: DMS, Lacerte or ProSeries. Be sure to check behind any other open windows on your desktop in case you can't find the tool.
Import and Total Client Limits
Your imports from Intuit DMS are limited to 10 total clients. After 10 clients, you must purchase the Migration tool. Your imports from either Intuit tax application (Lacerte or ProSeries) are unlimited, as long as you have less than 10 clients in your SmartVault account at a time. To enable more than 10 clients in your SmartVault account, you must purchase a SmartVault plan. To avoid any limits, you can purchase a SmartVault plan and the DMS Data Migration tool.
If you plan on using the Migration tool during your trial, we recommend importing 10 clients from your tax application, and then importing the same 10 clients' documents from DMS. If you would rather skip this experience, click Cancel, and you can print a client's tax return directly to SmartVault from your tax application instead. Do not select Skip if you want to use this wizard at another time.
To Migrate Now or Later
You can choose to complete this wizard now, or when you're more acquainted with SmartVault. We recommend completing this wizard now, as it's helpful for understanding how folder templates and sharing works in SmartVault. Even if you complete this wizard, you don't have to migrate any clients or data until you're ready. Completing the wizard simply sets up your folder template to use in SmartVault.
If you'd like to complete this wizard, you can use one of our guides for the migration type of your choosing:
- Migrating Your Intuit DMS Data with the DMS Data Migration Tool
- Migrating Clients from Lacerte to SmartVault with the Data Migration Tool
- Migrating Clients from ProSeries to SmartVault with the Data Migration Tool
- Also, see our Data Migration Resources for more information
If you choose to finish this wizard later, simply close the window or click Cancel. This wizard will appear each time you sign in to the SmartVault desktop (see this article if you have trouble reopening the wizard). Don't select Skip, as this will stop the wizard from appearing again later. After you complete the wizard or close the wizard, open the Connected Desktop to continue with this guide.