The SmartVault Connected Desktop is a fully integrated document management solution for tax documents generated by your client engagements.
If you use SmartVault as your tax document database, the Connected Desktop is the easiest way to work with those documents.
When you open the Connected Desktop for the first time, you may have no clients displayed. You may need to refresh your client list or import clients from Lacerte or ProSeries.
The Connected Desktop is where you'll perform most of your document management, including uploading, downloading, scanning, and editing documents for specific clients all within the Connected Desktop. In addition to keeping you organized as you generate and edit documents for a client, the Connected Desktop lets you send those documents to any recipient.
The image below introduces the Connected Desktop's layout.
1. Search Bar: Use the Search bar to filter your clients in your client list. The text you enter is matched against the columns in your client list to display only those clients.
2. Client List Pane: This is a list of all clients in your account. Clicking a client in displays the client's folders and files in the Document View pane.
3. Document View Toolbar: Use this toolbar when working with client files and folders in the Document View pane. The Document View toolbar is contextual and changes which actions are selectable based on whether you are working with a file or a folder.
4. Document View Pane: The Document View pane is the main window in the Connected Desktop. You use the Document View pane to work on client files and folders stored in SmartVault.
5. Client Folder Structure: This is the folder structure used to store your clients' files and folders in SmartVault. Changes to files or folders here are automatically stored in SmartVault as you work in the Connected Desktop.