Explore the Connected Desktop:
Connected Desktop Layout
The SmartVault Connected Desktop is our answer to providing you a powerful and fully integrated document management solution for all of the tax documents generated by your engagements with clients. If you think of SmartVault as your tax document database, Connected Desktop is the fast and easy way to work with the documents in that database.
When you open the Connected Desktop for the first time, there may be no clients listed. You may need to refresh your client list or, if on a Tax plan, import clients from Lacerte or ProSeries.
The Connected Desktop is where you'll perform most of your document management. You can upload, download, scan, and edit documents for specific clients all within the Connected Desktop. In addition to keeping you organized as you generate and edit documents for a client, the Connected Desktop empowers you to send those documents to any recipient of your choosing.
We'll guide you through each of these workflows using the Connected Desktop, but first, get acquainted with the Connected Desktop's layout with this graphic:
- Search Bar - use the Search Bar to filter your clients in your Client List. The text you enter is matched against the columns in your Client List to display only those clients with a match.
- Client List Pane - this is the list of all clients in your account. Clicking on a client in this list displays the client's folders and files in the Document View pane.
- Document View Toolbar - the Document View toolbar is used when working with client files and folders in the Document View pane. The Document View toolbar displays the actions you can perform on a file or folder within the Document View pane. The Document View toolbar is contextual and changes which actions are selectable based on whether you are working with a file or a folder.
- Document View Pane - the Document View pane is the main window in Connected Desktop. Use the Document View pane to work on client files and folders stored in SmartVault.
- Client Folder Structure - this is the folder structure used to store your clients' files and folders in SmartVault. Changes to files or folders here are automatically stored in SmartVault as you work in the Connected Desktop.