The Tax Preparation Cycle
So far you've printed a tax return from your tax application to SmartVault. SmartVault generated a client vault with folders to store your internal documents, as well as folders that you can potentially use to share with your clients. Your tax return documents were printed to specific folders—your preparer copies were sent to your internal Tax Returns folder, while your Client copy and Government Filing copy were sent to your potential client-sharing Client Tax Returns folder.
When to Send Tax Returns
In the last step, you invited a client to view his or her client vault in your SmartVault account. Now, since you've granted the client access, and you've completed his or her tax return, you can use SmartVault to send the tax return to your client. SmartVault uses an email template (which you can edit and customize) to create a personalized email informing your client that his or her tax return is ready to be viewed in the SmartVault Portal.
Here we'll demonstrate how you can send out tax returns in bulk. See this article for a quick way to send a tax return to just one client.
- Sign in to the SmartVault Portal.
- Right click on your account and click View Dashboard.
- Click on Send to Clients.
- You might need to apply filters to find the engagements you're looking for. Click Edit filters and select the needed filters.
- You can filter based on your client's tax type.
- You can filter based on the type of engagement. At this time, you can only send tax returns, so you will not need to view other engagement types.
- You can use additional filters to show engagements according to the following:
- if the government tax return has been prepared;
- if the client tax return has been prepared;
- and if you have already sent a return to a client or not.
- You can filter based on the year of the engagement. When you've selected all the necessary filters, click Apply.
- Check each engagement you intend to send.
- Click Send Income Tax Email.