Sometimes you need to change a user's permission on a folder, because the the user and folder weren't set up correctly or responsibilities for that user have changed.
Sharing folders means granting access to users with whom you want to share documents. Sharing is done in the SmartVault client portal. You can share any or all folders that makes sense for your workflow.
We recommend reviewing the Learn More about Share and Manage Access Permissions topic before reading on.
- Sign in to the SmartVault Client portal.
- Expand the vault (file cabinet icon) and select the folder.
- In the right task pane under Folder Tasks, click View Access and Notification Settings.
- Review the permissions in the Access and Notification settings for each user and select the boxes as desired.
- If the user is not listed here or you want to change any of the listed permissions, click Edit.
- Click the Add User button to grant access. Learn more in the Share a Folder article.
Make any changes to the listed permissions.
Select the "Apply Changes to" option and click Save Settings. (see considerations below)
Important Note - Please review
When you create a new subfolder under a parent folder, the new subfolder inherits it's parent folder's permissions automatically. However, when changing permissions a parent folder that already has existing subfolders, those subfolders do not automatically acquire the parent folders permissions unless you use the "Apply changes to..." with the subfolders option when you share.
If you want the access and notification settings you specified for the user to apply only to the selected folder, under Apply changes to, verify that This folder only is selected and then click Save Settings.
If you want the access and notification settings you specified for the user added not only the selected folder, but also to every folder and subfolder in the vault, under Apply changes to, select This folder and all subfolders, and then click Save Settings.
If you want the access and notifications settings specified for the folder to replace the access and notification settings specified for every folder and subfolder in the vault, under Apply changes to, select This folder and make all subfolder access settings exactly like these, and then click Save Settings.