This guide will help those who are migrating from Intuit Lacerte to SmartVault. If are a DMS user as well, you need to use the DMS migration guide here.
When you open SmartVault and sign in to the desktop software for the first time, the Data Migration tool opens to help guide you through your migration to SmartVault from Intuit Lacerte. Be sure to check behind any other open windows on your desktop in case you can't find the tool. You're given the option to set up a folder template to be used in SmartVault. You have the option of using the default SmartVault folder template, or you can create your own folder template based on a folder structure you upload from Windows Explorer.
Note: If you're a trialing account user...
If you would rather skip this experience, click Cancel, and you can print a client's tax return directly to SmartVault from your tax application instead. Do not select Skip if you want to use this wizard at another time. but instead just close the window.
The Data Migration Tool Will Open When You Sign In to SmartVault...
When you meet these conditions:
- you have less than 11 clients in your SmartVault account;
- you haven't selected Skip or completed the wizard yet;
- and you or a SmartVault Services employee hasn't manually altered your folder templates in the SmartVault folder.
If you don't meet all of these conditions, the Data Migration tool will no longer open. If you've already completed this wizard, you can still import additional clients from Lacerte by opening the Import Data tool from the SmartVault Launchpad or the Connected Desktop.
If you accidently closed the wizard, see this article to reopen the Data Migration tool.
If for any reason the tool will not open, and you meet all of these conditions, contact support for help.
Remember: Before contacting support, minimize any other open windows as the wizard might be hidden from view.
Start Your Migration with the Custom Folder Template Wizard
As previously mentioned, you have the option of setting up a custom folder template. Even if you decide to use SmartVault's default folder template, you can still complete this wizard to get a better understanding of how each folder is used in SmartVault.
If you want to accept the SmartVault default folders for your account, and you don't want to go through this wizard, select Skip and you'll be taken directly to the Import Data tool to import your clients from Lacerte.
If you'd like to view the information in the wizard, but still use SmartVault default folder template, select Start, and then select SmartVault's folder template on the next screen.
Follow the wizard's instructions until you reach the Import Data tool.
Use Your Own Existing Folder Template
You can utilize your own existing folder template stored on your local file system or a network file system, however, the folder template you use must be consistent for every client you'll import from Lacerte. If you create a folder template this way, every client you import to SmartVault will utilize this template. Often if you need a custom solution, you should consider contacting SmartVault Services for additional help with setting up SmartVault just for you. For the more tech-savvy, we've included an example on how you might use this option.
An example migration using the existing folder template option...
- Begin by selecting the existing folder template option.
- Click Browse to select your folder structure.
- Be sure to select the parent folder. For the best results, your folder structure should have a client folder with a tax engagement folder type with some kind of year format inside. Inside the tax engagement folder, you should have one folder that stores your client's tax returns. Click OK when finished.
- You can preview your folder template on the right. Click Next.
- Here, you'll identify your tax engagement folder. These folders track your engagement with clients by year. If your folder template doesn't have a folder that serves this purpose, you will need to utilize the SmartVault default folder template instead, or contact SmartVault Services.
- Next, identify the folder in which you keep your client's tax returns. If your folder template doesn't have a folder that serves this purpose, you will need to utilize the SmartVault default folder template instead, or contact SmartVault Services.
- You can follow the remaining steps in the wizard and select the default selections until you reach the Import Data tool.
Import Your Clients from Lacerte
After saving your template or skipping the wizard, you're asked if you'd like to import your clients now. If you're ready, you can launch the Import Data tool. If not, you can always import data later by opening the Import Data tool from the SmartVault Launchpad or from the Connected Desktop.
Note: Remember, if you're using a trial account to evaluate SmartVault, you will have limits to your imports and client totals. Purchase a SmartVault plan and the DMS Data Migration tool to gain unlimited imports and clients.
- Select your most recent version of Lacerte, select your SmartVault account, and click Next.
- You might need to wait for Lacerte. You'll see this window open when Lacerte has finished.
- Select each type of client to import or select all, then click Next.
- Now, select each specific client to import, or select all. Click Finish.
- Now, back in the Import Data tool, you'll select each client you want to import. You can select any number of clients. Hold CTRL and click each client to select multiple clients that are not continuous, or hold SHIFT and click from one client to another to select all clients in between.
- Click Import All to import every client in this list or click Import Selected to only import those clients you've selected.
- As each client finishes importing, you'll see a status for the client. The import process is tracked with a progress bar, and when finished, you can click Exit.
Congratulations! You've migrated to SmartVault! After you exit the migration tool, the Connected Desktop opens automatically so you can see SmartVault in action. Check out additional information on Connected Desktop here.
If you need to import additional clients later, you can open the Import Data tool at any time from the SmartVault Launchpad or from the Connected Desktop.