After you add company files to SmartVault, you can use the SmartVault Toolbar to directly attach to more than 30 entries in QuickBooks or Reckon Accounts. After attaching documents to entries, the documents you attach can be accessed using QuickBooks or Reckon Accounts anytime, anywhere from a Web browser using the SmartVault client portal.
The following video walks you through adding a company file once you've installed the SmartVault desktop software for QuickBooks. The steps are very similar for Reckon Accounts:
Before You Begin
- Install the SmartVault Desktop software.
a. Install the SmartVault Desktop Software on all computers in your environment where employees are using SmartVault tools - the Inbox, the Mapped Drive and/or the Toolbar.
- If you are working in a non-hosted environment, sign in to SmartVault from the SmartVault Desktop software installed on your local computer.
- If you are working in a hosted environment, make sure you have signed in to SmartVault from the SmartVault Desktop software installed in your hosted environment.
- If you are prompted to specify an email address and password in order to sign in to SmartVault after clicking on the SmartVault icon in the notification area in the lower right corner of your desktop, type your SmartVault user ID and password, and then click Sign In again.
Note: After you sign in to SmartVault, the SmartVault icon in the notification area changes from gray to green.
- Browse to the location of the company file you want to add to SmartVault.
- Open the company file you want to add to SmartVault as an Admin in single-user mode by completing one of the following steps:
– If you are the only user for the company file, by default you are already in single-user mode and you are the Admin. Simply type the password for your company file, and then click OK:
– If your company file is used by more than one user, ensure that no other users are currently using the company file, and then in the User Name field, type Admin, and in the Password field, type the password for the Admin user, and then click OK.
- When you open the company file, an Application Certificate dialog box displays, telling you that SmartVault is requesting access to the company file you currently have open and asking you to accept the SmartVault security certificate. You must accept the SmartVault security certificate before you can add the company file to SmartVault.
- When the Application Certificate dialog box displays, accept the SmartVault certificate by completing the following steps:
a. Select the fourth option, Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running.
b. If your company file is used by more than one user, in the Login as field, select Admin from the drop-down list.
c. Click Continue.
- In the Access Confirmation dialog box, click Done.
- Wait until the Add Company to SmartVault dialog box displays.
Note: It make take several seconds for the Add Company to SmartVault dialog box to display.
- In the Add to Vault field, select vault you want to add the QuickBooks company file to.
If you have only one vault in your SmartVault portal, this vault will be selected for you by default.
If you have more than one vault in your SmartVault portal, select the vault you want to add the company file to from the drop-down list.
- In the Folder name field, specify the name of the folder you want to add the company file to.
Note: By default, the folder name is the name of the company file. If the folder name with the includes a period (.) character, an error message will display and the OK button on the dialog box will be inactive. This is because folder names cannot include a period (.) character. For example, if your company file name is Acme, Inc., the OK button on the dialog box will be inactive until you remove the period (.) character from the folder name. Once you remove the period (.) character from the folder name, the OK button on the dialog box will become active.
- Click OK.
- The SmartVault Toolbar should now display on the right side of your QuickBooks window:
You must be a SmartVault account's Administrator or a member of the account's Vault Managers group for the vault where you add the company file before you can add a desktop company file to SmartVault. For more information about user groups in SmartVault, see this article. For more information about changing a user's group for a vault, see this article.
You should create the vault you want to add the company file to before you add your company file to SmartVault. For more information about how to create a vault, see this article.