After a few years, you may find that you have many inactive or former clients listed among your current clients in your SmartVault Connected Desktop. This guide will show you how to archive a client in SmartVault so that their data is still preserved, but their name no longer appears in your current client list in the Connected Desktop.
After completing this how-to guide your inactive/former/retired clients will no longer appear in the Clients view of the Connected Desktop.
- Sign into the SmartVault Online Portal
- On the left side of the screen, Right-Click on the blue globe icon.
- Click on Create New Vault
- Name the vault Archived and click Create Vault
- On the left side of the screen, Right-Click on the blue globe icon once again. Click on View Dashboard
- Click on Files folder on the bottom icon of the left bar. Then Navigate to the client's Container
- Click on the box left of the client name for the clients you wish to archive. Select the icon
- Click on the Archived vault you created earlier in step 4. Make sure that the Selected folder also reflects the Archived vault as seen on the screen shot below and then click OK.
- You will notice that you now have a copy of the clients as folders in the Archived vault.
- Click on the clients' Container once again and select the clients you wish to Delete. Click on the icon to delete the clients. Click OK to confirm.
Restoring Archived Client
The client may return at one point and you will need to have that client restored with their files and access. In order to successfully restore a client, you will need to re-import the client and re-invite them to use SmartVault as a brand new customer.
- The first thing you will want to do is re-import the client from your tax programs such as LaCerte or ProSeries
- Once the client has been imported, you can copy and paste the old files from the "Inactive Clients" or the archived folder you created using the SmartVault WebDrive.
- Once all of the files have been restored, you can now invite the client to gain access to their account. For instructions on how to do so, visit our Support Article: Managing and Inviting LaCerte or ProSeries Tax Clients
- You must use the SmartVault Drive to copy or drag and drop the client's vault into the archive vault because SmartVault does not let you place a vault within another vault or folder. Since Windows File Explorer displays each container and vault within your SmartVault Drive as a regular folder, you can simply copy or drag and drop these "folders" into another vault within the Connected Desktop.
- Please verify that all the inactive clients' documents have been uploaded to your archive vault before you delete the original files!