Guests are individuals with whom a SmartVault user wants to share documents. Guests can upload and access files through the SmartVault portal, inbox, and mobile app.
Typically, an accountant invites their clients to access important tax forms in SmartVault as a Guest user. This ensures that each client can only access their own tax forms in their vault.
In order to activate your guest account and access SmartVault, you must have your account administrator invite you. If you have not received this invitation email, reach out to your account administrator and ask them to invite you.
Note: If you are an account owner or a Tax Plan employee, your process for uploading files is different. For more information, see Uploading Files Using the SmartVault Portal, and
Uploading Files to SmartVault Using the Connected Desktop.
Uploading Files as a Guest
In the example below, we are uploading a 2017 W-2 form requested by your CPA into the Client Source Documents folder.
1. Go to my.smartvault.com.
2. Enter your email address and password you used to activate your guest account.
3. Click Sign In.
4. Navigate to the folder where you would like to upload your files.
5. Click the tax year folder TY17.
6. Click the Client Source Documents folder.
7. Click browse to browse for the file or drag and drop it into the window.
8. Click Close. A confirmation message appears.
9. Click Dismiss.
Your CPA will automatically be notified whenever files are uploaded to your folder, so you don't have to let them know.