When a client gets divorced, you will need to split the clients in ProSeries before importing or printing a tax return to SmartVault. This will need to be done in order to assure files are being routed to the correct vault.
How to split joint return
- In ProSeries, identify the joint return that needs to be split. (In this example we will be working with Doe, John and Jane)
- Select the client and go to File>Split MFJ Return
- Read through the information provided and when done, select OK.
- Choose two NEW client IDs. You will need to ensure the client IDs are not being used by another client.
- Click OK
- The joint return will remain untouched and two new clients will be created.
- Import the new clients to SmartVault or print a new tax return for both of the new clients.
- Two new clients in SmartVault and the joint return will remained untouched in SmartVault.
- If two clients with different email addresses has access to the joint return, they will continue to have access.
- The two new clients will need to be invited using their own email address so that they can access their new split vault.
- If you renamed the joint return instead of using the "Split" function in ProSeries, a new client will not be created in SmartVault and the files will continue to route to the joint return. In order to fix this you will have to follow these instructions to prevent that tax return from going into the joint return.