Microsoft’s latest update for Office 2010 causes office apps to crash when opening documents from the SmartVault Drive. This update was released very recently and we were able to identify it early on. If you run Microsoft Office 2010 in your server environments, please refrain from installing KB3055034, KB3054886 and KB3101521.
UPDATE: We have Identified another update causing issues with word and excel files from the SmartVault Drive. When KB3054886 is installed, documents are opened in Read-Only mode or an "failed to upload to the server" error message is displayed when trying to save documents.
UPDATE 2: After Microsoft's November 2015 patch release, we have found that another update for office 2010 is causing office to crash again. This time the update KB# is KB3101521. Follow the steps in the section below in case excel/word starts crashing.
UPDATE 3: After Microsoft's December 2015 patch release, we have found that another update for office 2010 is causing office applications to crash. This time the update KB is KB3114399. Follow the steps in the section below in case excel/word starts crashing again.
Follow the steps below if opening a Microsoft Word or Excel file from the SmartVault Drive is causing those applications to crash:
- Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
- Click View Installed applications on the left -hand menu.
- Search for "Update for Office 2010 (KB3055034)"
- Right click on the update and click Uninstall.
- Repeat for KB3054886.
Note: You may see several instances of each update. Uninstall all instances of those updates.
To prevent these updates from being installed again on your PC, you must Hide them from Automatic Windows updates. To do this follow the steps below:
- Open the Windows Control Panel, and then click System and Security.
- Click Windows Update.
- Click Check for updates on the left hand column menu so that Windows fetches all available updates.
- Click the link indicating that updates are available.
- Right-click the update that you would like to hide and click Hide Update. Click OK.