Error: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040408)
Could not start QuickBooks.
This error is typically caused by some or all of the following conditions:
- Vista User Account Control (UAC) is disabled.
- The logged in user to the system belongs to the “Admin” group.
- The QuickBooks company file you are trying to open is in a Protected folder in a network environment.
For Windows Vista, complete the following steps:
- Ensure that Vista User Account Control (UAC) is enabled. For more information about enabling UAC, see http://www.howtonetworking.com/vista/disableuac.htm.
- Ensure that the user logged in to the system is not an administrator or member of the “Admin” group.
- Ensure the QuickBooks company file is in a PUBLIC folder in a network environment or aPRIVATE (Home) folder in a single-user environment.
For Windows XP, complete the following steps:
- Close QuickBooks and exit out of SmartVault.
- Browse to ProgramFiles>IntuitQuickBooks>VersionComponents>RegisteredUI.
- Rename the file UI_sdk_smartvault<bunchofnumbers>.SYS </bunchofnumbers>to OLD_UI_sdk_smartvault<bunchofnumbers>.SYS</bunchofnumbers>.
- Restart QuickBooks and sign in to SmartVault.