You can use the SmartVault Dashboard to manually add clients and their contact information to your SmartVault account. If you have more than a dozen new clients to add at once, it may be easier to use the SmartVault Data Import Tool to import your clients from Lacerte, ProSereies, or a .CSV file.
If you are using Lacerte or ProSeries, manually creating new clients in the Dashboard can possibly lead to duplicate client vaults in the future. We strongly recommend creating new tax clients in Lacerte or ProSeries and then using the "Print to SmartVault" integration to avoid creating duplicate vaults.
To create a new client in Lacerte or ProSeries and import them into SmartVault:
- Create a new client in your tax software
- Fill in the following information:
- First and last name (include spouse if married) or company name
- SSN or EIN
- Email address and phone number
- Select "Print" and print an incomplete copy of the client's Preparer or Review Copy of their tax return to SmartVault
The client contact information and the appropriate tax folder template will be imported and created in SmartVault. You do not need to delete the Preparer or Review Copy of the tax return as they are routed to folders not visible to your end clients and will be overwritten automatically whenever you complete the client's return and print a new copy.
- Sign in to the SmartVault Portal.
- Right click on your account name in the left task pane and select View Dashboard.
- Click Clients.
- Click the + sign to add a client.
- Click the + signs to enter information for a client's name, email, and phone number. (Disregard the Aliases section for now.)
- Click Save changes to add the client to your client list.