You can use the SmartVault Dashboard to manually add clients and their contact information to your SmartVault account.
Note: If you have more than a dozen new clients to add at once, it may be easier to use the SmartVault Data Import Tool to import your clients from Lacerte, ProSeries, or a .CSV file.
If you are using Lacerte or ProSeries, we strongly recommend creating new tax clients in Lacerte or ProSeries and then using the Print to SmartVault integration process to avoid creating duplicate vaults.
For more information, see Importing Clients from Lacerte or ProSeries Using the Import Data Tool.
Creating Clients in Lacerte or ProSeries and Importing Them into SmartVault
1. Create a new client in your tax software, such as Lacerte or ProSeries.
2. Fill in the following information:
- First and last name (include spouse if married) or company name
- SSN or EIN
- Email address
- Phone number
3. Select Print and print an incomplete copy of the client's Preparer or Review Copy of their tax return to SmartVault.
The client contact information and the appropriate tax folder template will be imported and created in SmartVault. You do not need to delete the Preparer or Review Copy of the tax return as they are routed to folders not visible to your clients and will be automatically overwritten when you complete the client's return and print a new copy.
Adding Clients Via the Portal
1. Sign in to the SmartVault Portal.
2. Right-click on your account name and select View Dashboard.
3. Click Clients.
4. Click the Add client icon to add a client.
5. Click the + signs to enter information for a client's name, email, and phone number.
6. Click the Save changes icon to add the client to your client list.