After completing this how-to you will have the ability to create a new client and invite them to SmartVault using the Client Dashboard.
You can use the SmartVault Dashboard to manually add clients and their contact information to your SmartVault account. If you have more than a dozen new clients to add at once, it may be easier to use the SmartVault Data Import Tool to import your clients from Lacerte, ProSereies, or a .CSV file.
If you are using Lacerte or ProSeries, creating new clients in the Dashboard can possibly lead to duplicate client vaults in the future. We strongly recommend creating new tax clients in Lacerte or ProSeries and then using the "Print to SmartVault" integration to avoid creating duplicate vaults.
To create a new client in Lacerte or ProSeries and import them into SmartVault:
- Create a new client in your tax software
- Fill in the following information:
- First and last name (include spouse if married) or company name
- SSN or EIN
- Email address and phone number
- Select "Print" and print an incomplete copy of the client's Preparer or Review Copy of their tax return to SmartVault
The client contact information and the appropriate tax folder template will be imported and created in SmartVault. You do not need to delete the Preparer or Review Copy of the tax return as they are routed to folders not visible to your end clients and will be automatically overwritten whenever you complete the client's return and print a new copy.
- Select the "Clients" icon on the left side of the screen.
- Click the "+" to start adding a new client.
- The default client type is a Person.
-The client type can be changed from a Person to Entity.
-Fill in the Name, Phone Number and Email.
-Save changes when you are done.
- The next step is to invite your client by choosing the invite button located on the tool bar.
- Click OK to invite the client
- Only plans with Dashboard will have the ability to use our clients view.
- If the invitation is not sending out then be sure to verify that the email entered is correct.