After an import job, such as a DMS migration or importing your clients from Lacerte or ProSeries, you might have duplicate clients.
Earlier versions of the DMS migration would create duplicate clients if you used the copy client feature in Lacerte or Proseries. While this issue has been resolved, if your account contains a large number of duplicate clients you can contact support to request an automated resolution to this issue. This automated procedure will merge clients if their names or tax identification numbers (TINs) match.
Under certain conditions, a DMS migration can still create duplicate clients. For example, in the event that a client’s TIN does not match between DMS and Lacerte or ProSeries, this client will be duplicated when imported to SmartVault.
The merge feature is also useful when you create a client in SmartVault before you create the client in Lacerte or ProSeries—often to collect source documents in SmartVault before completing tax work for a new client.
Please note* If you attempt the merge feature and it does not work, please refer to the Considerations towards the bottom of this page.
- Login the Dashboard.
- Click on the Clients icon as shown below:
- Search for the client using the magnifying glass icon.
- Select both clients using the checkbox left to the name of the client.
- Click the merge icon to merge the two clients.
- Select the top or the bottom client information to merge into.
- Click OK and the two vaults will be merged into one vault.
Unable to merge client vaults? The merge feature is a complicated task in the background process because there are quite a few variables that may conflict when merging a client in SmartVault regardless if all the information matches correctly. Therefore, the merge feature may not always work.
In these cases, the best solution to resolve this is export the data of the existing client. If you already have the data saved or backed up, you can delete the client. Then re-import the client using LaCerte or ProSeries or the CSV Import. Here are some helpful articles below to show you how to do the following steps:
- Export the client's data. Click on this article for a how to: Export Data from Connected Desktop
- Delete the client from Connected Desktop. Click on this article for a how to: Delete a Client
- Choose one of the following methods below:
• Re-Import your client using LaCerte or ProSeries at this article: Import and Add New Clients
• Re-Import your clients using a CSV file at this article: CSV Import