In this article, we will show you how to encrypt your data onto a flash drive or hard drive. First thing you will want to do is download and install the 7-zip program. Click on either icon below that applies to your computer (32 bit or 64 bit) :
Please note * How can I tell if my computer is running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows?
Follow the instructions below:
1. Right-Click on the Start button and then Left-Click on System
2. Under System, you can view the System type.
3. Once you have successfully installed the 7-zip program, proceed to the following steps below.
- Right-Click on the files or folder you wish to compress and encrypt.
- From the pop-up menu, select Add to archive...
- In the dialog window, note the name of the 7z file that will be created.
- Change the Archive format to 7z (It may be selected by default).
- Change the Encryption method to AES-256 (It may be selected by default).
- Enter and verify your password.
- Click OK
Please ensure you are making a note and copy of the password you entered when encrypting the hard drive or flash drive. The password cannot be retrieved if you lose it or misplace the password.