You can use SmartVault to secure file share folders that contain documents with other users. You can secure file share folders with both users inside your company, such as employees, as well as with users outside of your company, such as clients.
SmartVault provides the following access permissions for you to use when you share a folder:
- Full Access is equivalent to being given Read, Write, Create, and Delete access to a folder.
READ & DOWNLOAD
- The user can view all the documents in the folder and view document properties, such as document creation date.
- The user can email someone a link to any document in the folder.
- The user can download any document in the folder.
Note: Guests and Clients cannot rename folders even if you give them Write permissions, but they can rename files.
- The user can open a document using the SmartVault Drive (or a mapped drive from a Mac, iPad, or smart phone), make changes to the document, and save it back to the folder.
- The user can rename the folder.
- The user can change the name or description of any document in the folder.
- The user can upload a new document to the folder.
- The user can create a new folder (subfolder) inside the current folder.
- The user can delete any or all documents in the folder.
- The user can delete the folder itself, as long as the user also has Delete permissions on all the subfolders in the folder hierarchy.
When you share folders, you specify exactly who you want to have access to the folder. Only the people that you specify can see the folder and any documents stored in the folder.
Your SmartVault user ID must be a member of the SmartVault Administrators group or a member of the Vault Managers group for the vault that contains the documents you want to share before you can share folders. If you opened the SmartVault account, by default you are a SmartVault Administrator and you can share vaults and folders. If you did not open the SmartVault account but you want to be able to share folders, ask the person who opened the account or another SmartVault Administrator in the account to make you a SmartVault Administrator or Vault Manager.